Earlier cases of person-to-person transmission in Illinois and in San Benito County came “after close, prolonged interaction with a family member who returned from Wuhan, China, and had tested positive for COVID-19,” California Department of Public Health officials said in their Wednesday statement. Dr. Sonia Angell, the state’s public health officer, called the outbreak an “evolving situation” that the state had been monitoring since the first cases in China late last year. but added “there is a lot we already know.” “We have been anticipating the potential for such a case in the U.S., and given our close familial, social and business relationships with China, it is not unexpected that the first case in the U.S. would be in California,” Angell said in prepared remarks. Earlier today, President Trump announced that Vice President Mike Pence will lead the government’s response to the virus. In the rare White House address, Trump maintained that the risk to the U.S. from the virus “remains very low.”
Read more of this story at Slashdot.